Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 203

    Isla Holbox

    July 7, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Time to discover another part of Yucatán peninsula! We've headed north to Isla Holbox (pronounced Isla Holbosh) where we heard there was a nice beautiful white sand beach, stunning sunsets and no tourists! We jumped on the bus and half way there we started to hear thunder...and heavy rain was soon after . It followed us all the way to our hotel! It was a bit epic but we were glad that we brought our rain covers for our bags!
    The rainy episode only lasted an hour or two but it flooded almost all the streets of the little town of Holbox. It is apparently very common and as the streets are sandy you just need to get your feet wet.

    We enjoyed our time in this little town, with some very chill restaurants and a few beach bars that have too loud music to our taste. This time we made the good decision to stay 5min away from the beach, just far enough to have good night sleep. The highlights of these three days were the sunsets, it's been a while since we've had a sunset on the sea! With the cloudy atmosphere it created crazy colours.

    Holbox is also very famous for excursions to swim with the whale sharks in the wild. It asks for dedication, leaving at 6:30 for an 1h30 boat ride on a tiny boat and then waiting your turn to jump in the water to swim with the fish for brief seconds or longer depending on how fast you can swim! Yes, the whale shark doesn't wait for you it just continues its life, you can see that on the video. The video was made by a girl that jumped with Armelle and she was so kind to share it with all of us that, who instead of filming were able to just concentrated on swimming with the shark! It is quite incredible, you swim very close to these huge and majestic creatures!

    Holbox was a little more touristy than we had been led to believe with quite a few high end resorts and boutique shops but it felt like visiting a monastery when compared to the crazy downtown night life of Playa Del Carmen. A very nice place to relax and enjoy some good Mexican food.
    Read more