Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 235

    Tayrona National Park

    August 8, 2022 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We needed a break from cities and decided to stay in a hotel in a tiny town, El Zaino, situated just 3min drive from the entrance of Tayrona National Park. Walking within the forest of this park and on the beach was the breath of fresh air we needed, even if it wasn't always fresh and there was no air 😁

    The park itself is quite big, 150km², and includes the coast line of the Carribean and the foothills of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta. This park is home of 4 indigenous group and probably the most touristy beaches in Colombia. The beaches are all situated within walking distance of the entrance.

    Not daunted by a 8km walk to reach the first beach from the entrance, on the first day we decided to skip the little bus that drives you the first 5km on a small road. Little did we know that the last 3km were very up and down in a forest with (we think) had 100% humidity! We were well rewarded by a swim in the sea and a nice beach to chill, relax and cool down.
    Of course we had to walk back the 3km to the bus stop and this time, we took the bus. Instead of the sea, we found a cold shower to cool us down (also because there isn't hot water)!
    Next day, "rebelote" as French would say, we had to do this again and this time go even further to Cabo San Juan, the most famous beach. We left earlier that day, it didn't make the walk easier but we had more time to chill on the beach and as we found a nice spot in the shade it was an overall quite relaxing day. The water is really clear we could see little fish swimming around us!
    Read more