Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 255

    The Amazon

    August 28, 2022 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    After an overnight layover at the airport Hotel in Quito we hopped on another flight to Coca, a city nestled in the Ecuadorian Amazon, part of the largest rainforest in the world. A two hour boat ride, a 20 minute walk and a 20 minute canoe and we finally arrived at our destination, Sacha Lodge, where we will be spending the next 4 days searching for animals and enjoying the delights of the forest.

    Sacha Lodge is built on the edge of a natural lagoon, and as it turns out we have booked the only 5 star resort in this region 🤩, the rooms are fantastic with full air con (a treat in this climate), we have our own private guide and have a 3 course gourmet dinner every night, it's a shame we can't afford to stay here longer 🤣

    We learnt a lot in the short time we were here and it will be difficult to share it all! Every morning we were up before sunrise for breakfast and our morning activity, then a quick nap before lunch followed by our afternoon activities, dinner then night time activities, a very packed agenda. We saw some incredible insects at night and two shy caimans. During the mornings we concentrated on finding birds and monkeys. Animals here have a lot of space so it is not always easy to find them. Patience is needed and a good pair of binoculars or telescope. Good thing that we had both and a native guide with us! It does also seem that a bit of luck is involved. One morning we went to a clay wall were usually a lot of parrots come and eat the clay. However when we arrived they were all in the trees because a massive Boa snake was patiently waiting for a pray on the wall. Would you be a able to find it in the picture?

    We were lucky to see a lot of birds though and also a sloth that was casually eating some leafs at the top of a tree. Even with the short time we were in the Jungle by the end we were able identify the wild turkey, oropendula, macaws and keskadi birds by their calls. We did pretty much hear them from Dawn to dusk.

    The Amazon is a very magical place, full of life of all shapes and sizes, it was very nice to be back amongst nature and we thoroughly enjoyed our 5* experience (although we didn't enjoy then bill we got when we left 🤣)
    Read more