Satellite
  • Day 8

    First Outing

    August 3, 2015 in India ⋅ ☀️ 40 °C

    First weekend, and man were we excited about it!!
    What was the craze about Mysore, the cleanest city, all about? We were about to find out. So, we managed to pinpoint on three locations to start our footprints : Mysore Palace, Chamundi Hills and Karanji Lake!
    Stop One was the busiest attraction.
    The rich cultural heritage of Mysore unfolded before us via a tour of the palace. The place was teeming with tourists. We learnt more about the King Wadeyar and his family.
    The people of Mysore are one of the friendliest I have ever seen.
    We boarded a bus from the city bus stand and took the winded road up to Chamundi Hills and had one of the best views of the entire city sprawled out beneath us. Verily, the journey is worth more than the destination.
    Chamundi Hills houses the temple of Goddesses Chamundeshwari, the patron deity of Karnataka. The temple, a shining example of South Indian architecture is a full house of tourists, worshippers, devotees and hawkers alike. It was an infantry of people.
    Crossing Chamundi off our lists, we made our way to Karanji Lake. Karanji boasts of a hundred acre garden, an impressive aviary and the namesake, a lake. That really caught my attention was the display of birds at the huge aviary. It was a perfect blend of a million hues of the birds and the wild greenery. Peacocks, cuckoos, Macaus and innumerable others I have no idea of the names of.
    The perfect ending to this day came when we made the climb up a 100 foot watchtower and watched the serene sunset over the sprawling sparkling lake. A thousand words cannot describe that single picture.
    Mere words are all I had.
    This wasn't just worth a week's wait, it was a precursor for the weeks to come.
    Read more