Satellite
  • Day 87

    Ashtamir Dhaak

    October 21, 2015 in India ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    A hundred miles away from home. A thousand leagues away from the hustle bustle of my city. I cannot describe the immense pleasure and gratitude I felt at being able to sway to the beats of the dhaak once again.
    Undoubtedly, I was morose at being away from one of the biggest celebrations in the world. Durga Puja at Kolkata. So imagine my joy at finding a committee which organises this in Mysore.
    In true traveller fashion, we had scoped out the place a day before for timings. :P
    Wednesday morning dawned bright n clear. The ice bucket challenge of bathing literally made my knees weak. When we reached Gokulam (in 5 mins, courtesy of UBER :D ) we wasted no time in queuing up for morning anjali, an offering to the Goddess. With flowers and the beat of the dhaak and the Sanskrit chanting of the purohit, made for a welcome change from local language that I was getting used to.
    We spent time sniggering at holy Sanskrit words and then feeling mortified. Anjali was followed by a series of selfies with fellows Bengalis. Before the hour was up, it was time to rush back to our workplace.
    One hour, one million memories, touched one lonely homesick heart! :)
    Looking forward to Dusshera! ;)
    Read more