Satellite
  • Day 7

    Maun Day 8

    April 14, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    We had a fascinating morning, one of the best of the trip so far. Up at 5.00, we were loaded up on 2 safari jeeps (along with 6 other visitors) and we headed off on the 1.5 hour trip southwards towards the salt pans. The countryside gradually became drier and drier and eventually there were no trees. And then suddenly we were upon a meerkat colony (a group of 17, with several burrows). What a busy group to observe! As they warmed up in the sun they became used to our presence and then they went off foraging with us following slowly afterwards.
    We had breakfast close by before moving to the Ntetwe Pan, part of the huge Makgadikgadi Salt Pan complex. A vast expanse of salt right out to the horizon. No water in sight. One felt quite insignificant on such a vast landscape.
    It was another 1.5 hour journey back to Planet Baobab where we took our tents down, had lunch and a last minute dip before heading westwards and Maun: an uneventful 3 hour trip. Supermarket shopping in preparation for our Okavango adventure followed and we headed for our nearby Sitatunga Camp where we put our tents up for the night.
    Read more