Satellite
  • Day 9

    Okavango Delta Day 10

    April 16, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Up at 6.00 this morning, had a warm drink, and then we were taken by the mokoro polers to a nearby island where we walked for the next 4 hours. It was a beautiful morning and we split into 2 groups, led by either Andrew or Simon. They took us close to giraffe, zebra and we saw wildebeeste and elephant in the distance. As the day warmed up, we were glad to return to the mokoros and a very late brunch.
    During the heat of the day we sat in the shade of the campsite trees and either talked, read or dozed.
    At 4.00 we left again for a short mokoro ride through the reeds to a hippo pool to watch for hippos and the sunset. Unfortunately there were no hippos this time and the sunset was not as spectacular as the previous night, but that is the nature of being in the wild. We returned to the camp in the gloom for a great meal cooked by Gift.
    After dinner we sat around talking and started singing. Suddenly we were surprised by the entire group of polers and Gift who gathered on the other side of the campfire and began singing and dancing, much to our delight. They soon included us in their singing and then forced us to sing back to them (with us providing a rather ragged version of Waltzing Matilda and a few others). It was an hilarious and fun end to the day, with Andrew posing riddles and questions to end the occasion.
    Read more