Satellite
  • Day 10

    Sitatunga Camp Day 11

    April 17, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Today we were up again at 6.00, grabbed a quick drink and we all went for a short walk, after being poled to a new, but nearby, island. Again, we saw an interesting cross-section of wildlife. Back to camp to pack up our tents and eat our last meal in the Okavango. By mid-morning we were on our way through the reeds, all 9 mokoros, returning on the 1.5 hour pole back to Boro base.
    We were met there by the ancient truck that had brought us, and after loading up and saying farewell to our poling friends, we were on our way back through Maun and out to our base at Sitatunga for a shower and lunch. Tents with our own ensuites (!!) and electricity.
    It was the end of the trip for our ATC tour staff who had brought us all the way from Zimbabwe. It was extremely sad to say farewell to Dumi and Gift who had looked after us so well for 10 days.
    Our Sedie hosts were waiting for us (10 students and 3 staff) but we definitely needed to scrub up after no showers for 3 days (but it was worth it).
    After lunch all 26 of us piled on to 2 vehicles and set off for our horse-riding safari, hosted by Rides on the Wildside's Dany Hancock. We were mixed up and split into 4 groups for a ride, a grooming session and initiative activities. The ride was fun because we were in a private game reserve and saw giraffe, oryx, eland and zebra. Finishing in the dark, we said farewell to our new Sedie friends and headed back to Sitatunga for a late dinner and bed immediately afterwards. It had been another day of great memories.
    Read more