Satellite
  • Day 4

    Day 3 - February 23

    February 24, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Kia ora,

    Note: I have had trouble uploading photos here, but will hopefully have good wifi access when we get to Wellington in a couple days.

    Yesterday, we drove through a lot of farm country in the morning. I really enjoyed seeing so many green, rolling hills; and I would have loved the opportunity to run up and down a few of them - assuming a wouldn't be arrested for trespassing on someone's property. We made a stop at a town known for the soft drink L&P, and took a group photo in front of a large bottle. Their slogan is "World Famous in New Zealand." I then bought some of it and tried it. It was good, but also my first soda in a couple years, and made me remember how sugary those drinks are.

    Our next stop was in a town where the Hobbiton tour was. I did not go, because there are other Lord of the Rings areas I would rather see. The ones who did attend it, said it was good.

    A few of us got dropped off at the Redwood Forest, and I went on a trail with a girl from Portland, Oregon. We covered a lot of ground. She said these redwoods were not as big as the California ones, but I was impressed with it being my first time among redwoods.

    At night, a few of us got a ride into town and went out to eat. It has been fun meeting people from around the world and learning about their life back home. I was enjoying learning about life in the Netherlands while eating fish and chips last night.
    Read more