Satellite
  • Day 8

    Day 8 - February 28

    February 28, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 18 °C

    Kia ora,

    As if a 4:15 wake up time wasn't difficult enough, the winds were really strong and I woke up even earlier than that. However, heading to swim with the dolphins in the ocean was definitely worth it.

    This was also my first time putting on a wet suit and snorkeling. I had a bit of a struggle getting used to the snorkeling form of breathing, but I had numerous dolphins swimming around and under me. It was breathtaking. On the ride back, we had an extra treat of seeing an orca that came really close to the boat. I got some great video of it blowing through the blowhole.

    It was an incredible start today, and only 9:30 am. We then headed to Christchurch for lunch. This area has had recent earthquakes, but also is still rebuilding from the devastating 2011 earthquakes. After lunch, we bid farewell to a German girl who had been with the group for 28 days and picked up a new guy from Germany. I believe the current group will remain this way until I and a few others leave in Queenstown.

    Our bus ride was one of the most scenic yet, with water on one side and mountains on the other side. At night, we camped at an old sheep farm located at the foot of the mountains. The view was incredible, and the stars were the best I had ever seen. I learned where to locate the Southern Cross in the sky, and hope to see a few shooting stars tonight. I tend to always miss them as others point them out. Tonight's view is supposed to be even better as long as we have a clear sky.
    Read more