Satellite
  • Day 11

    Day 11 - March 2

    March 2, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Kia ora,

    We had our second consecutive night at a camp with no showers, but we were near the water again and got to witness a spectacular sunrise. The driving was a lot less than other days today. We made a short drive to the Moeraki Boulders. Our tour guide said it was basically the New Zealand equivalent to Stonehenge. They boulders were interesting as they were perfectly round rocks in the beach that weighed 4 tons each.

    After this, we drove to the Scottish-influenced town of Dunedin. This city was settled by Scots and the streets and city formation were set up to be a carbon copy of Edinburgh, Scotland. When we first got to town, we made a stop to walk up the world's steepest street. One of the guys in our group was foolish enough to try running up the bloody thing...yours truly. I managed to make it a good chunk of the way until my legs pretty much locked up and could not continue running any longer. I walked for a bit and then decided to run the rest of the way. My lungs were opened up immensely and it took a couple hours to feel fully recovered. I am still glad I attempted the run, and rewarded myself with another dessert, which has become a daily ritual while on this holiday.

    We spent a few hours walking around Dunedin, and I finally found the New Zealand souvenir t-shirt I had been looking for. The city itself had a more unique feel to it than some of the other cities we have been to.

    This is one of the earlier arrivals we have had to our campsite, and everyone went straight for the showers once we got settled in. Now, I am doing some laundry ahead of my big hike on Friday and planning on a relaxing evening with my tour peeps.
    Read more