Satellite
  • Day 41

    Flat tire #1

    October 18, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    This morning started with an unpleasant surprise: We had our first flat tire. So - after a yummy omelet for breakfast - Herbert fixed it and we only left Maggie's place around 10am. Good thing about the delay was that our totally wet sleeping bags from the night under the sky could dry before we packed them up...
    After some 3km, we had to stop again due to tree works along the road. However, the sheriff was eager to help us go through the roadblock as soon as possible, talked to the workers through his radio device and arranged for us to continue our route straight away. It was also a pleasure for him to lead us through the blocked part of the road with his car (we are preeeetty warm once we got through, the speed of the car is a little different ;)).
    The rest of the day was very nice cycling with quiet roads with almost no traffic. We passed Bass Lake, continued to Kerckhoff Lake where we stopped to eat our bagels for lunch and ended up at a campsite at Pine Flat Lake. The landscape gets significantly drier going down South and finding creeks is more difficult than before.
    We also met Kevin on the road, an English cyclist who is also following the Sierra Cascades route in the US and who we had shortly met in Quincy before. He is staying at the same campsite, so we exchanged bike stories over a beer.
    Read more