Satellite
  • Day 126

    Chilling in Flores and some km spinning

    January 11, 2020 in Guatemala ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We left El Remate after a really good Guatemalan coffee the owner of the posada had made for us. As we had tail winds on a relatively flat road, it only took us just over an hour to get to Flores, our next stop. First, we went to a bike shop. It opened at 10am and we arrived 8:45am, so what to do if you don't want to wait? We knocked at the door, a guy opened and sold us the pedals we needed. Then he even mounted them with his pro tools - easy as that in Guatemala!
    Flores is located on an island accessible by a bridge. The island is really small, you can cycle around in about 5 min. It's a tourist place, but absolutely beautiful with many colorful houses! We decided to have an extended second breakfast at the waterfront and go for a swim. We found out that a triathlon took place and were really tempted to stay for a night. However, it was also very tempting to go on. We were still feeling very fresh after 4 easy days on the bike and more importantly, the wind came from the right direction!
    So we went back on the bikes and continued our way to Sayaxche. It was easy rolling with some minor hills, passing green and hilly scenery and some villages with many animals such as pigs, dogs and chicken running around.
    In Sayaxche, you need to cross a river in order to get further South (meaning there is no bridge on one of the main routes in Guatemala!). There's boats for different means of transport: one for passengers, one for cars, one for motorcycles. We went on a small boat for motorcycles. Prices are 2 Quetzales (about 25 € cents) for passengers, 5 Quetzales for motorcycles. Foreign cyclists: free of charge - thanks to the guys on the boat 😁
    In town, it wasn't easy to find an economic hotel as it was Saturday and Sayaxche seems to be a party town for locals, full of dodgy bars. However, in the end we got lucky as one of the hotel owners offered us a cheap room in his new hotel that wasn't completely ready yet. Our room was bright and everything was working, so no complaints here!
    Read more