Satellite
  • Day 133

    Entering El Salvador

    January 18, 2020 in El Salvador ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    Our last morning in Guatemala started with a great breakfast of tamales (traditional dish on Saturday), bread, frijoles and coffee. Thus, we were ready to hit the road.
    From Asuncion Mita it's only about 20km to the border of El Salvador, but there was lots to see: love motels, a Panamerican nightclub, a beautifully decorated cemetery like you can see it quite often in this country, and nice landscape with a view of a volcano.
    Border crossing was easy and fast, it took us only about 10 minutes to leave Guatemala and enter El Salvador. From the border, we had to cycle about 35km to Santa Ana, our destination for the night. Santa Ana is a colonial with beautiful houses. We checked into our hostel (also a nice colonial building) and explored the city where we - like in the other Central American countries before - ran into a parade with loud music. We also went to the market to buy vegetables for dinner. The markets are similar as the ones we know, but weird to pay in US$ again, the currency used here.
    First impressions of country number 6: relatively good roads, low but crazy traffic, similar landscape like on the other side of the border, people a little more reserved, lots of security guards with rifles. Let's see what we think tomorrow.
    Read more