Satellite
  • Day 137

    Auto Hotel adventure

    January 22, 2020 in El Salvador ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    As we couldn't get anything for a normal breakfast last night, we had bought some more purpusas for takeaway. We were also lucky as a young guy on a motorcycles past, selling: fresh French bread. Exactly what we needed and better and cheaper than in a bakery here. Love this service!
    The cycling day started as the last one ended. A rolling coastal route, lots of curves, beautiful ocean views. We made the 11000km after 1 hour of cycling.
    After about 25km, we stopped in San Blas for a swim as we would leave the road would go inland again. It was difficult to find a public access to the beach, so we just went to a restaurant, had a drink and could use their shower after the swim which was convenient.
    We continued via La Libertad, a harbour town which looked a little dodgy, so we just passed it. The road went inland and got relatively flat. We could see more volcanoes and many sugarcane fields. Other than that, the ride was uneventful. Even for lunch, we just stopped at a roadside shop which with a tyre shop next door. Nothing special...
    We were going to stop at a motel, but full night rates only started after 5pm (before you could only stay for some 3-4 hours). As it was before 4pm, we decided to go on for a while, bought some food for dinner and continued for another 20km.
    In Jiquilisco, we found another motel and wanted to stay. They looked a little confused, we are obviously not the standard visitors in this type of hotel. Anyways, we got our own garage to put the bikes in. From the garage, we could directly go into the room which had a condom on the table and a mattress surrounded by a layer of plastic. We cooked our dinner in the garage with the garage door open so we could look outside. This totally confused as the whole place is designed for coming and leaving completely anonymous.
    Read more