Satellite
  • Day 158

    Be aware of the monkies

    February 12, 2020 in Costa Rica ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Today was exploration day. We followed the 245 which led us to the very Southeast of the peninsula. The road was bad gravel, so not much fun with our bikes to cycle. But in general, the area is extremely beautiful and we saw and heard lots of different animals: different types of monkeys, red aras, uncountable birds, spiders, crabs, and a black Jaguarundi (which we googled afterwards). We also passed some remote beaches where we could sit under palmtrees and watch some surfers. Our destination was a waterfall, also advertised as part of the tours. You can get there on your own by hiking for about 20 minutes from the small road. However, when we got there, we only found a dirty puddle and no water from above. So unfortunately, we couldn't swim.
    On the way back, we met an elderly German couple taking photos of some monkeys playing, swinging and chasing each other in the trees. We stopped for a chat and were happy to wear our helmets as the monkeys started throwing coconuts off the tree. Cheeky animals!! Luckily, they missed all of us.
    Back in our room, we were quite exhausted from the ride on the gravel road. So we went to bed early after a good rice salad for dinner.
    Read more