Satellite
  • Day 187

    Entering a different world

    March 12, 2020 in Colombia ⋅ 🌧 24 °C

    The day started a little different compared to the last weeks: there were some raindrops when we started cycling. And pretty much from the beginning, we had to climb. The landscape changed completely, from dry and flat we entered a green and mountainous world with temperatures under 30°C - what a relief! We also had a longer breakfast stop at a roadside restaurants, as we didn't have hurry to beat the sun.
    We climbed to about 1200m where the road started rolling through some villages, lots of agricultural land and a bigger cacao city.
    Around noon, we reached Giron after a 500m elevation drop, a beautiful colonial village in the mountains, all painted in white. We had a short lunch break before continuing on a busy highway with no proper shoulder. We did a semi-circle around Bucaramanga, the capital of this department, in order to go further South. In Piedecuesta, a small but busy village, we called it a day and stayed in a basic hotel.
    Lots of nice people on the road today. First, Angelica on her motorcycle stopped next to us for a chat and to give us her number in case we need help. Later, Andrés cycled next to us for a short talk about our trip. We also exchanged numbers to stay in contact. He seems to be motivated to do bike touring as well, so maybe we can inspire him a bit more. In general, many people cheered and gave us a thumbs up which is always encouraging on a climb!
    Read more