Satellite
  • Day 169

    Annapurna Base Camp, Nepal

    October 29, 2017 in Nepal

    Andreas and I have returned from ten days of trekking through the breathtaking landscapes of the Himalayas. We decided to trek without a guide or porters to save the $30+ a day.

    The first day of our trek was the Hindu festival of Diwali. People were dancing and playing music in all of the towns we passed. They even blessed us with a tika (red dot on our foreheads). One group of clever children (encouraged by nearby adults) formed a human chain across the entire path and physically wrapped themselves around trekkers, not letting them go until they got money. We avoided them by running up the side of a hill.

    Our trek took us through beautiful mountain villages with some of the most breathtaking views imaginable. The accommodation was much nicer than expected and cheap too! Private rooms with big blankets, great views, and (most times) HOT showers. The trek was hard with a lot of steep ups and downs but nothing we couldn't handle.

    We were continually amazed by the porters who carried around 100kgs (220lbs) attached by a small strip of fabric on their foreheads.

    It was great to ascend to Annapurna Base Camp at 4130m (13,550ft)! We both felt the altitude and lack of oxygen, however neither of us got altitude sickness. It was fun to see a Nepalese movie being filmed at the base camp. It was freezing at the top, yet watching the sunrise over the mountains was an experience neither of us will forget.
    Read more