Satellite
  • Day 196

    Jaisalmer, India

    November 25, 2017 in India ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Indian thanksgiving! While exploring the beautiful sandstone fort of Jaisalmer, Andreas and I met a fellow American at a cafe and we decided to have an Indian thanksgiving. At the restaurant, our dinner for three combined with a birthday party and turned into a huge thanksgiving feast complete with tandoori chicken, mashed potatoes, and mixed veg curry. It's hard being away from family and friends during the holidays, but our feast made it feel like home.

    The next day we fulfilled a personal dream of mine to go on a camel safari. We went with a couple we met the night before from Australia. We instantly hit it off so it made for a great time. We took a jeep for one hour and then rode camels for about 1.5 hours into the Thar desert. On the way we stopped at our guide's village to meet his baby camel that was born the night before. Meeting this beautiful alien-like baby was a very special experience. Riding camels was a lot different than we expected. They are a lot taller and a lot bumpier than we imagined. We arrived at our camp just in time to watch the sunset. We were only 40km from Pakistan! After two weeks of sensory overload, it was surreal to have complete silence. We ate curries around the campfire and stargazed from our beds.

    We woke up to breakfast in bed and were pleased to find two cute dogs from a local village sleeping under our beds for warmth. After the guides rounded up the camels, who were grazing during the night, we rode back to civilization. This was definitely one of our top experiences.

    Next we head south to the beaches of Goa for a little R & R.
    Read more