Satellite
  • Day 3

    Drive to Lake Garda

    June 21, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Today we had to rent a car that we were going to keep for the rest of the trip until we got to Rome. We got a quick breakfast and then Aditya and I went to get the car. Vir and Shailaja stayed back and went to explore the shops. Renting the car took longer than expected. The Hertz location is not in the Central Station but a few streets away and then as always lines at rental car companies are the longest.

    Once we got the car we picked up Shailaja and Adi, and set off for Lake Garda. Driving a car in a new country is a little nerve racking initially but very soon I was fine. The highways, Autostrada are excellent, as good or even better US highways. Once we got to Lake Garda the views of the lake and the towering mountains were beautiful. It was also started to get a bit cloudy with a forecast of showers in the evening and tomorrow. It started to also cool down so the weather was perfect.

    Our plan was to eat lunch at Limone but given our delays in Milan, we needed to find a new lunch place as most restaurants close at 2 pm. We decided to stop at any place where parking would be convenient. We found a restaurant with parking right in the front, La Terrazzina. It is right on the edge of the hill overlooking the lake. The views from this place were breathtaking.

    After lunch we briefly stopped at Limone and then headed to our hotel in Riva Del Garda. We checked in a went for a swim. The hotel had a nice pool with a waterfall and massagers in the pool. The one thing that confused us thoroughly was the temperature in the "hot" tub was the same as the pool. We spent about 90 minutes in the pool and then went up to our room to shower before leaving for dinner. While waiting his turn for the shower, Vir was taking pictures from the 6th-floor balcony and dropped his phone 🤷‍♂️. There is not much left of the phone.

    While leaving for dinner we noticed that the hotel also has a huge game room with pool tables, foosball tables, and ping pong table. Since we were hungry, we thought we might come back after dinner. For dinner, we decided to walk to the city center about 20 minutes walk. It was a nice walk and we crossed many good restaurants. In the city center next to the marina, we didn’t find any good restaurants so decided to walk back and eat at one of the many we crossed on our way. We ate at the Hotel Rialto restaurant. Across from the restaurant, we noticed a lot of activity at the gelato place, Flora. So after dinner, we headed there for Gelato. First truly awesome Gelato of our trip.
    Read more