Hawaii Island possesses 10 of Koppen’s original 14 world climate zones and during our 5 day stay we experienced 8 of them.
A. HUMID TROPICAL CLIMATES
• Tropical Continuously Wet (Af)- atHilo
• Tropical Winter-Dry (Aw)-at Kealakekua Bay, Holualoa Coffee Belt & Puuhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park.
• Tropical Summer-Dry (As)- at Punalu‘u Black Sand Beach
• Tropical Monsoon (Am)-X
B. ARID AND SEMI-ARID CLIMATES
• Hot Semi-Desert (BSh) at Kailua-Kona Village
• Hot Desert (BWh)-X
C. TEMPERATE CLIMATES
• Continuously Wet Warm Temperate (Cfb)-at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
• Summer-Dry Warm Temperate (Csb)-at Mauna Kea State Recreation Area.
• Summer-Dry Cool Temperate (Csc)-at Mauna Kea Visitor Information Station- we tried to visit but it was blocked due to protesters
E. ICE CLIMATES
• Periglacial Climate (ET)-at Mauna Kea Ice Age Natural Area Reserve- viewed from saddle roadRead more