Cadillac, FranceSeptember 23, 2018 in France ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C
Bordeaux has a new tram system which we used to arrive at the Aquitaine Museum. This entire region of southwest France once belonged to Eleanor of Aquitaine in the 12th century. After she married the king of England, Henry the II, it became part of England for 300 years. We learned that Bordeaux was once part of the slave trade triangle. Goods from here were shipped to Africa in exchange for slaves. The goods the slaves produced in America were then shipped back to Europe. There is a lot of history in this museum and not enough time to see it all.
After lunch we were scheduled to cruise upstream to the town of Cadillac. Unfortunately, the water was too low and we had to travel by motor coach. Cadillac is a fortified town called a bastide in old French. It was founded in 1280 by Jean de Grailly, representing the King of England. In the middle of the town is a chateau built in the 17th century by the first duke of Epernon for his wife. In later centuries it became a women's prison. The Cadillac we know was born near here and traveled to Canada in 1683. He adopted his title from the town of Cadillac in France. He fought the Iroquois and served as commander of the frontier post of Mackinac in Michigan. King Louis XIV gave him permission to set up a Great Lakes fur-trading post in Detroit. He governed Detroit and then the Louisiana Colony. Unhappy in Louisiana he returned to southern France where he died. A U.S. city, mountain and car company are all named after him.Read more