Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Rusty things and shiny buttons

    October 9, 2022 in France ⋅ ☀️ 64 °F

    Had a most excellent time shopping today at Les Puces de Vanves flea market. We managed to get up and out early and had the Metro nearly all to ourselves. Within a few minutes after we arrived at the market I had struck my first bargain using the old frown-and-walk-away method. The seller relented and called me back to the table. I now own a rusty tool designed for an unknown purpose. It works flawlessly, I’m sure. More importantly, the ice had been broken.

    The next vendor succumbed to the bundling technique. Two for 10€, you say? How about 15€ for all four? Done. With an Eiffel Tower keychain thrown in for free.

    Up and down the street we went; our shopping bags began to bulge. Finally the time came to leave and as we retraced our path we caught a glimpse of something shiny. Like magpies, we hopped over to inspect. They were buttons, mother of pearl mostly, many missing their shanks and in unusual shapes suggesting they were perhaps factory seconds? In any case they were beautiful, each one unique. We sifted through the large tray full, sharing our favorites and assuming they were too expensive, probably 1€ apiece. Then the man said he would sell us the whole tray (actually a large film can) for 30€. Out came our wallets. No haggling except to ask for the film can, too. We now own a couple hundred (more) buttons. When we got back to the hotel we opened the tin and resumed sifting and sorting our horde like kids with their Halloween candy. Very soothing, the smooth buttons clicking through your fingers.
    Read more