Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    A bientôt, Paris

    October 12, 2022 in France ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    Our last day in Paris. We walked across the Seine to go shopping in Saint Germain de Près. On the way we visited the church, site of a former abbey and considered to be the oldest church in Paris. The original building was completed in the 6th century by was destroyed, twice, by the Vikings in the 9th century. The oldest part of the current building dates back to the year 1000. Lots of gothic elements including flying buttresses. Today the sun was shining through the stained glass windows which cast colorful light across the floor.

    We headed up Rue des Rennes, the Champs Élysée of the left bank, and somehow wandered into the Hermès store. They had a cute little leather coin purse for only 650€, if anyone needs a gift idea for me.

    We continued window shopping on our way to the Bon Marché department store which is celebrating its 120th anniversary. From there we walked down Rue du Bac, across the Pont Royal, and along the Seine to Pont Neuf. Stopped into a church we passed along the way (Saint-Germain-l'Auxerrois), did some California dreamin’, then went to Samaritaine department store. A very different place than it used to be but still beautiful inside.

    Then back to the Marais via BHV to the Hôtel Caron de Beaumarchais. I rode the scented elevator while Ellen enjoyed climbing the five flights of stairs to our room. The people at the front desk seem amused by our routine.

    The packing is nearly done and with luck we are within the weight limits. Or at least our bags are.
    Read more