Departamento de Atlántida

Here you’ll find travel reports about Departamento de Atlántida. Discover travel destinations in Honduras of travelers writing a travel blog on FindPenguins.

8 travelers at this place:

  • Day24

    I’m getting this down now so I don’t forget. It’s been a bit of an epic travel day.
    We got the ferry from Palencia this morning at 9am, picking up a Belgium dude as we went. We cruised with 3.2 engines 20 minutes around the coast and stopped for 90 whilst we kinda went through customs. See ya Belize. We got to Puerto Cortes pretty much as expected, just a lot longer than the 4 hours it should have been, more like 6! We then waited for about an hour before the whole boat cleared through the one customs guy. We basically all put our passports into a plastic bag getting off the boat, then waited in line.
    4:20pm, finally get in a taxi to get to la Ceiba, sealed a good deal as there are four of us. It’s now 8:30pm and we are still an hour away, it’s a long way!! The driving here is bonkers and once the sun went down, it’s even crazier! One in five vehicles have no tail lights, people on bikes everywhere. It’s like that old game Turbo Outrun, but at night. Seems the way to overtake is drive up someone’s arse, then put you light on full beam till you get by. Definitely an experience, even more so cos I have the front seat. Hopefully we can find somewhere to stay once we get in 😬
    There’s been some good clouds and a lightening storm to entertain, keeps you mind of the oncoming traffic straddling the middle of the road! Ha!
    10:00pm we got to the hostel and it was a pile of rubble! It’s now 10:30pm and we have a hotel. There is a massive fiesta in town for the end of May and all of the hotels are booked. Epic day!
    Read more

  • Day18

    Río Cangrejal

    March 17, 2016 in Honduras

    When I got off the ferry from Utila this morning, I was picked up by the driver of the Jungle River Lodge - the name perfectly matches. The rustic jeep took me over a long, unpaved road into the jungle, where the lodge sits right at the river shore of Río Cangrejal, which got its name because of the many crabs who had lived here before they had all been eaten by otters.
    I started the day with an awesome rafting and canyoning tour with two Italian girls. After lunch, I went for the three-hour hike to the waterfall Cascada del Beluj. It is so huge that, despite its remote location, you can even see it from the street. After the sweaty ascent, I could just hop into the river right at the hostel and chill and it's natural pools.Read more

  • Day1

    Fahrt nach La Ceiba

    February 12, 2016 in Honduras

    Um 3:15 Uhr klopfte es an der Tür. Sie warten schon seit 20 Minuten, hiess es. Uns wurde 3:30 Uhr als Treffpunkt angegeben. Naja, Zeit ist relativ in diesen Ländern hier... ;-) Nur eines war klar: es war unglaublich früh.
    Im Shuttle wurden wir von Antigua nach Guatemala-City gefahren. Dann hiess es, warten und Formulare für Honduras ausfüllen. Ca. eine Stunde später durften wir endlich in den Car einsteigen (Carunternehmen Hedman Alas). Für die bevorstehenden 13 Stunden hatten wir uns ein bisschen Luxus gegönnt und (teure) Tickets für die erste Klasse gekauft. Somit hatten wir einen Sitz, der sich fast waagrecht nach hinten klappen liess.
    In der Nähe von Copán überquerten wir die Grenze. Ein Foto wurde gemacht und unsere Fingerabdrücke genommen (der Chip des biometrischen Passes befindet sich bei uns Schweizern, anders als bei den anderen Nationen, nicht auf der gleichen Seite, wie die persönlichen Angaben, sondern im Deckel und somit müssen wir trotzdem immer unsere Fingerabdrücke geben, da die Zollbeamten dies meistens nicht realisieren...) Aber immerhin hatten wir, wahrscheinlich das erste Mal bei unseren zig Grenzüberquerungen, einen richtig netten und witzigen Beamten.

    Laut Statistik befindet sich in Honduras, welches bereits als eines der gefährlichsten Ländern weltweit gilt, die absolut gefährlichste Stadt auf Erden, nämlich San Pedro Sula. Doch an dieser Stadt führte kein Weg vorbei. Egal, welche Route wir aussuchten, jede Strecke ging durch diesen Ort! Und ausgerechnet hier mussten wir zudem umsteigen... Gespannt blickten wir also aus dem Fenster, aber anstelle von aufeinander schiessenden Drogen- und Jugendbanden und Toten, die am Strassenrand liegen, sahen wir spielende Kinder und Frauen, die ihre handgemachten Sachen anpriesen. So schnell hat man durch Internetrecherche ein falsches und einseitiges Bild im Kopf, dachten wir.
    Trotzdem wurde uns in La Ceiba, unser Ausgangspunkt um am nächsten Morgen nach Utila zu gelangen, nahegelegt, nicht bei Dunkelheit durch die Strassen zu gehen. Und tatsächlich hatten wir nie zuvor solch verlassene Strassen gesehen...
    Read more

  • Day145

    Hannah brings us treats!!!

    September 28, 2015 in Honduras

    I was awoken at 7am by a huge glob of something falling on my arm and shoulder! It had rained so hard in the night that the plaster above our heads had started to drip. We were fearful of the whole ceiling caving in so didn't try to get back to sleep. We went down and had blueberry pancakes which were lovely, though took a few attempts for the staff to understand 2 lots of pancakes & 1 coffee for some reason. Total cost for accommodation, dinner, breakfast and 4 beers was 1,236L (£37). We spoke to the owner who said the lack of beers was due to an unexpectedly huge crowd of locals on Independence Day that they haven't fully recovered from and the new shipment is being held at port by the authorities.

    Then we packed our bags and wandered to the road where we only waited a few minutes before a minivan turned up and took us to San Pedro Sula (2 hours, 50L). SPS is supposedly one of the most dangerous cities in the world due to it's high murder rate (beaten only by El Salvador I believe). Travellers are warned against going to SPS and yet you pretty much have to as it's a main transport hub. Likely the danger is overhyped as the issues are gang / drugs related, however there have been attacks on tourists so we were on high alert. Possibly it was unwise to arrive on a chicken bus, possibly it was the safest way. As we approached SPS we noticed armed guards everywhere. There was a plain-looking Chinese restaurant with two guards outside armed with huge rifles - seemed a little excessive so I think it was a cover for some dodgy dealings. If it wasn't for all the hype, we wouldn't have noticed much difference from any other big city.

    We arrived at the bus terminal unscathed, ignored one dodgy bloke, and waited in the food hall with a burger king and juice. On our second sweep of the terminal we found my sister, Hannah, who has come to join us for a holiday. We don't plan to do much actual travelling so it'll be a more relaxing couple of weeks for us :)

    We got the bus to La Ceiba, on the northern coast of Honduras, (Viana, 365L, 3.5 hours) which had blankets, drinks and an unidentified pastry snack. We took a collectivo taxi (30L each) to Gran Paris Hotel. They had no record of our reservation and tried to sell us a room for $85. The one I'd reserved was $58 - he told us the difference was taxes. I showed him on a calculator his math sucked and suddenly he agreed to my calculations of $68!

    Hannah unpacked and gave us our treats!!! Flipflops and phone cover for Anna, salt and vinegar square crisps, daim & picnic bars, Reese's cups, tampons (uber expensive here), ibuprofen and some face wash and cream for me. We started our anti-malarials (Plaquinol) and sampled some of our treats.

    We jumped in the pool and then headed out for dinner. We couldn't see much nearby and although the hotel guy assured us it was safe, we didn't want to wander too far. Hannah was wilting fast due to being up for over 36 hours - 3 planes, 2 buses and 2 taxis - so we went to Pizza Hut around the corner (220L - meal prices just for me & A).

    Hannah crashed straight after at about 8:30pm and we guzzled some of our chocolates and tried to stay quiet so as not to disturb sleeping beauty. The lights kept going on and off, presumably due to power failures but a generator kicked in almost immediately.
    Read more

  • Day159

    White water rafting

    October 12, 2015 in Honduras

    Our previous taxi driver picked us up at 6am for the 7am ferry back to the mainland. There we met Katelin and got a taxi ($18) for the half hour drive up a very bumpy road to Omega Tours Ecolodge. It's a beautiful jungly place near the Rio Cangrejal in Pico Bonito owned by a German couple. The husband has built the place from scratch and done a great job. We have two rooms, sharing a bathroom with 2 other rooms but they are unoccupied so we have the place to ourselves.

    We went on one of the walking trails within the property's grounds and got some lovely views and passed orange and rambutan trees, plus saw a small red snake with black bands which apparently could kill you before you made it to hospital!!

    At midday we had spaghetti (and saw a squirrel - who knew they were here?!) and waited a short while for our food to settle and then donned life jackets and helmets. We spent an hour or so swimming in the river and jumping off rocks. It was fun but a bit slow paced for my liking - we seemed to spend ages waiting for no reason. Hannah held a horrible jumping wolf spider.

    Then we boarded our raft and spent an hour going down class 2 & 3 rapids. It was great fun but fairly tame and a bit slow as we stopped between each rapid to discuss the next one. Katelin managed to unexpectedly fall out towards the end and was swept across a few rocks but luckily nothing too painful. At the end we purposefully flipped the boat and all fell in. Anna freaked out thinking a spider was on her; turns out a little fish was caught in her life jacket.

    We enjoyed dark n stormys at happy hour and then went searching for fireflies but there weren't many around. Anna and I shared nachos, veggie lasagne and homemade ice cream (360L). The food is quite pricey but very good and big enough to share luckily.

    Anna and the barmaid, Helen, serenaded us with the guitar. As we sat at the bar we could hear a tiny frog making a lot of noise, plus a ton of cicadas.

    Price: $70 including room, rafting and lunch.
    Read more

  • Day160

    Stranded in the jungle

    October 13, 2015 in Honduras

    We had planned to do a zipwire / hot springs / massage day in Sambo Creek, however due to poor internet over the last few days I hadn't finalised a pick up time. I'd sent an email yesterday requesting a time but then the internet and phones went down and stayed down. We had breakfast - measly portion of bread and jam for 70L and waited in the hope they'd show up. But they didn't :( Their subsequent email showed they got confused where we were staying and the tour was $10 more than initially quoted so all a bit useless!

    The German couple who owned the jungle lodge had driven off somewhere without a word as to where they were going or when they might return. This has done little to improve my general view of Germans (there are of course several lovely ones I know).

    So we were stranded in the jungle! No internet, no phones, no chance of hailing a taxi and nobody to ask. It was hardly the worst situation in the world - swinging in hammocks in the jungle, Hannah getting some last-chance rays of sun by the pool etc but it felt like a waste of a day, especially for Hannah and Katelin who are nearing the end of their holidays.

    We weren't keen to get back to La Ceiba as there is little to do but were worried about being stranded for another night. We were told there was a chicken bus at 1:30pm so we figured we'd get that but then a minivan turned up dropping off two other tourists and offered to take us to La Ceiba for $20. Our saviour! He also have us rambutan fruit :)

    We asked if he knew of a place with a pool so he took us to a hotel with a pool but it was overpriced and crucially the pool was in the shade! So then he took us to the cheap Hotel Estadio which I had booked by email. The rooms smelt of wee and Hannah had a dodgy camp bed! We used their wifi to book another hotel and then jumped in a taxi and ran away! (taxi = 25L per person within La Ceiba). After the longest check-in in the world at Hotel Carnaval ($33 per room, including brekkie), we were finally happy! A lovely hotel, 2 huge rooms, king size beds and very clean and shiny. The location seems better than the place we stayed last time as well and less deserted even though the other one was more central.

    We walked the short distance to an ATM and then stocked up on snacks in the big supermarket nearby. We went back to the room to catch up on wifi stuff and then headed out to dinner - we were searching for a recommendation: El Jardin de Susana which was supposedly a block away but couldn't find it. It was pouring with rain so we looked at two nearby restaurants but they only served burgers so we went across the road to Pizza Hut (diff one to last time). Anna got a headache so we put her to sleep early and had a quiet night.

    NB Caxton FX card hasn't worked in any Honduras ATMs! Halifax CC has been our saviour.
    Read more

  • Day161

    Zip wires and hot springs

    October 14, 2015 in Honduras

    I didn't get to sleep for ages - too much iced tea in Pizza Hut perhaps, not helped by Anna being starfished right in the middle of the bed. Begrudgingly I got up at 6:15am to have a breakfast of tortillas and beans (plus egg and sausage for the others). We had arranged to go to Cayos Cochinos, some beautiful islands, for the day but we were told it was cancelled due to poor weather as it had been raining heavily all night. We asked them to phone the canopy tour people we had been hoping to do yesterday and they arranged it for us.

    We waved a sad farewell to our aussie friend who is heading to Nicaragua for a week. She will be missed :(

    Sambo Creek Canopy & Hot Springs Tours ($49 - strangely $6 less than quoted by email) picked us up at 8am and drove us the half hour to Sambo Creek. They put harnesses on us and gave us gloves and we hiked up a steep slope for 10 minutes. We came out to a viewpoint looking out over the jungle to the sea where you could just about make out Roatan, Utila and CC.

    After a brief demonstration and a close encounter with a small hairy worm which could give you a nasty scratch we set off on our 18 zip wires. You had to brake yourself using padded gloves so you controlled your own speed - Hannah failed to master this at first so was 'escorted' by Wilson until she was trusted to do it herself! It was great fun. The wires ranged from short to long (1km) and fast to slow. The views were stunning. We hoped to see howler monkeys but they eluded us - the only animal we saw was a tree iguana. We stopped by a small geyser of bubbling, steaming water - one of 13 pools that feed the hot spring pools below (mixed with cold water from another river to create various temperatures). Our guides, Simon and Wilson, were fantastic; really enthusiastic and took a billion photos of us.

    After our canopy tour we relaxed in the hot spring pools - there are 4 of increasing heat. We were given pineapple and watermelon pieces in a floating wooden 'boat' which felt very luxurious, especially since we were the only ones there. Then Hannah was called for her massage. Half an hour later an oompa loompa appeared! She was coated head to toe in geyser mud. Then it was my turn for a lovely pummelling full body massage by Mundi and a covering in the hot, orange goo. As I waited for it to dry, I walked up and down a wooden boardwalk along the steaming river / waterfalls, which were absolutely stunning. Once the mud dried, I washed it off in another hot pool. After Anna had been done, we dried off, had some more fruit and were driven home by about 3pm. A fantastic tour! And the weather had stayed dry with some sunny spells.

    We munched some of yesterday's supermarket snacks and then walked 15 mins to book our bus tickets for tomorrow. We were all shattered and chilled for a bit - swapping photos and packing. Hannah is very kindly taking some of our unwanted stuff back which will lighten our loads and make room for souvenirs. I am leaving my wet, stinky trainers here as I hopefully won't have any further need for them.

    It rained again. We went to Pizza Hut again.
    Read more

  • Day14

    Finally in Honduras

    March 13, 2016 in Honduras

    Guatemala is amazing and I could have stayed there forever, but since I now had been on the road for two days to get to Honduras, using every medium of transportation possible, I was happy to finally get there. Especially after the endless colectivo rides (small minibusses that are by far less comfortable than the big busses) with their high volume folk and later christian music, being done with that for a while felt great.
    At the border, I had to wait some time and started talking to a local (and got a bag of delicious coconut water). I tried to make him conscious about not just throwing away your trash wherever you go, but I think the “everyone here does it“ attitude is too strong. I also couldn't understand why there are no ATMs at the border, but I seemed to be the only one asking for them. Anyway there were enough people who could change some of my dollars to lempira (€1 = L25).
    Unfortunately I didn't arrive in la Ceiba in time for the ferry to the bay island, but I hadn't expected that either. However, tomorrow morning it'll bring me to Utila, a snorkling and surfers paradise.
    Read more

You might also know this place by the following names:

Departamento de Atlántida, Departamento de Atlantida

Join us:

FindPenguins for iOS FindPenguins for Android

Sign up now