JökulsárlónAugust 1 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ 52 °F
Today was all about the ice - Glaciers and Icebergs.
We spent our entire day at Jökulsárlón - Glacier Lagoon. We checked out Diamond Beach first. This is where remnants of icebergs wash ashore after floating out to sea from the lagoon. The smaller ice pieces sit on the black sand and sparkle like diamonds. 💎
We also stood along the short river watching the big pieces of iceberg break apart and float under the bridge and towards the sea. Birds circled and dove snatching up small fish every time an iceberg rolled or broke apart.
To end our day, we took a zodiac boat tour of the lagoon, getting right up close to the glacier right after a huge chunk calved off. It was awesome floating by huge, beautiful icebergs, but also sad to learn of how fast the glacier is melting. 😞
1. Deafening roar of the ice breaking off the face of the glacier
2. Zooming over the waves
3. Our Zodiac guide, Teddi, who is an Elvis fan and can’t wait to visit Memphis 🙂
4. The seals 🦭
5. Diamond Beach sparkling ice
6. Watching an iceberg flip and break apart
7. The turquoise blue of the iceRead more