Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Waikiki, Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay

    June 16, 1992 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Each day brings a new trauma. All in all, today was a lovely day. We had a bit of a sleep in until about 8:30 while Pete went to the laundromat. Then we went across the road to get a JR's breakfast special - 2 pancakes, bacon & eggs for $1.95. After that we collected some more towels and posted some cards, then made our way to Diamond Head to tackle the hike to the top (760 ft above sea level). Only 0.7 miles but quite steep in places - that was what the sign said, anyway.

    Right at the top was a tunnel and a flashlight was required, but we took our chances. The view from the top was magnificent and well worth the climb. Around this time the boys began to annoy each other and complain and did so at odd times for the rest of the day, with Pete & I threatening to send them home on the next flight. There were a couple of times when we almost meant it.

    After the climb back down we sat in Diamond Head Crater and had a bit of a snack before making our way round to Hanauma Bay. Not really very far but very slow traffic because of roadworks. It was a bit like coming back to Sydney after a weekend away.

    Hanauma Bay is a beautiful spot which we had seen on Monday. The water wasn't quite as warm as the previous day, but still very refreshing. The water was teeming with fish which made it a popular snorkelling spot. One very large mullet looking fish, about 30cm long swam right beside me.

    The day turned overcast and when it actually rained most people, including us, packed up and went. Besides, we had to return our towels again. After showering we headed off for the Hard Rock Cafe, quite a walk, but better than looking for a parking spot. We arrived at 7.45 and were told we would have to wait 75 minutes for a table. Even the queue for t-shirts was quite long.

    We opted instead for the Sizzlers which we had passed along the way, with Sean complaining bitterly about having walked all that way for nothing and he didn't want to go to Sizzler either. We had a rather nice meal (I had Mahi Mahi), but Pete didn't go too much on the steak. We also sampled the Mai Tais that we had heard about.

    Pete had bought a $7 phone card which would get him a 3 minute international call as he wanted to phone Nicole. We did so, but the line dropped out after about a minute and he was very angry. He phoned again from the hotel anyway (what he wanted to avoid in the first place).

    While he was phoning, Sean decided to investigate the safe in our room in which we had put all our documents etc. We then couldn't get it open and Pete had to go looking for a locksmith. By this time Sean was about on death row. After about half an hour the safe reset itself and the locksmith cancelled.

    Well, I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!
    Read more