Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Pearl Harbor, Kaanapali Shores

    June 17, 1992 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    After the traumas of last night, the boys are sleeping in and Pete is prowling around like a caged lion. We will check out this morning and hope to go to Pearl Harbour and then maybe the Western or Northern beaches. Plane leaves at 3:30.

    (pm update: Maui Airport)
    Had breakfast again at the Jolly Roger before finalising everything and heading for the Hard Rock to see if we could pick up some paraphernalia. Joel decided on a t-shirt and Sean a teddy.

    Then headed off for Pearl Harbour. Didn't actually go on the Arizona memorial tour as there was a two hour wait. However we looked at everything on display, went in the museum (submarine), and went aboard the Bowfin, launched in 1942, December 7 - one year exactly after the attack on Pearl. The Arizona memorial is a walkway/viewing platform in the harbour from which you can see the USS Arizona which was sunk in Pearl Harbour that day.

    Time then to drive back to the airport, drop off the car and then catch a flight to Maui. When we checked in we found that we were on a plane which left 30 minutes earlier, so only time to grab a packet of chips before boarding. A very short flight, windy here and rather cloudy. The Alamo car rental desk has queues a mile long and here we wait!
    Read more