Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Page AZ, Lake Powell, Kanab UT

    July 7, 1992 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Pete was up early doing the washing and was irritated to find on his return that we were all still in bed. Since it was daylight saving, it was too late for breakfast in Burger King so it was cheeseburgers all round. The kids had another quick play in the kids playland before heading off for Page, about 100 miles away. The countryside still very rocky, flat and pretty bare. Too rocky I think for any tall trees to grow. Still lots of buttes and mesas. Stopped to photograph "Square Buttle" along route 95.

    Arrived in Page around lunchtime. A fairly large community and Lake Powell the first sign of water in any amount for quite some time. Lake Powell is a man made lake caused by the damming of the river. The dam quite high and also a road bridge across (single span). The water looked a lovely greenish colour against the reddish rocks of Glen Canyon. We drove to have a look at the dam visitor centre. Contained a large 3D model of the whole area, also info about the dam and its construction. Outside were some dinosaur tracks. We couldn't understand why they were raised.

    We drove back into Page to look for a t-shirt shop that Pete had noticed but were horribly disappointed. Went over to Taco Bell. Pete & I were amazed that we had talked the boys into a place that didn't serve burgers. They both had a soft taco, Nicole had nachos and Pete & I had burritos. We decided that a flying stop like this didn't do justice to Page - it seemed like a water sport haven. We drove a little way along the lake west side and came across a large marina.

    Headed off for Kaneb but decided to turn off the road to Paria, an old movie set. It was raining and the road was dirt, but it was in good condition and quite solid. We met another couple down there who we talked with for a while. The kids amused themselves by playing cowboys and Indians on the movie set.

    The area was also very pretty with different colours called "Painted Desert". We arrived in Kanab and checked into the Aiken Lodge. Two bedrooms but a bit of a squeeze. The kids headed off for the pool. Pete & I had a good chinwag with the proprietors. After cleaning up for dinner we walked downtown and decided on another Mexican type restaurant called Nedras, where Joel quickly parted with his orange soda. Nicole & Sean found it difficult to finish their chicken dinners. Pete and I had enchiladas and Joel had ... hamburger.
    Read more