Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    Day 65: Doing nothing on Koh Tao

    August 19, 2016 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Very much a nothing day today. We were both still tired and sunburned from our day of snorkelling yesterday, so planned to do nothing. Had breakfast at the hotel's restaurant which was again really good, then Shandos went for a brief walk while I stretched out on a sunlounger around the pool, reading and listening to podcasts.

    The weather wasn't great today, it was overcast with big rain squalls off the coast, and eventually one drifted overhead and dumped a huge amount of rain on the island. So I retreated to the restaurant/bar area, while Shandos apparently hid in a shop.

    Once the rain passed we walked the five minutes into town looking for some lunch. We ended up at a Mexican restaurant slash hotel called Taco Shack, where we both of course had burritos. Thankfully we sat inside, as there was another huge downpour while we were eating!

    Since the island is so small there's hardly anything in town other than dive shops and hostels, so we wandered back to our hotel where Shandos went for a snooze while I continued reading. The power came back on around 3pm (today was a "no power during daylight" day), so an hour or so later I headed back to sit in the air conditioning! We stayed reading and dozing until evening, when we went for a cheap dinner at a small Thai restaurant back along the beach (a bit further beyond where we'd had drinks the other night).

    Back to the hotel around 9pm, but I was hit with a strange bout of insomnia - after putting my phone away at 11pm, I didn't manage to fall asleep until nearly 4am!! Going to be a long day tomorrow.
    Read more