Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 113

    Day 113: It Gets Worse

    October 6, 2016 on the Philippines ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Rain rain go away. It rained almost the entire day today, so we spent pretty much the entire day on our bungalow balcony reading and relaxing.

    Ducked out around lunchtime to grab some more bakery fodder for lunch. I had a brief swim in the rain after lunch, but the water was pretty choppy and had lots of seaweed crap floating in it, so I didn't stay long.

    Late afternoon the rain stopped so we went for a walk northwards along the beach to the rocky outcrop at the end. There's a large cross up on the bluff (you can't get up there), and there's also a small grotto with a shrine to the Virgin Mary. More reminders that we're in a Catholic country now, first one of our trip (and first Christian country too!).

    Our walk was quite nice, and on the way back we stopped for a chorizo burger from a beach vendor. Each burger was literally just two large slices of chorizo, barbecued and served on a toasted bun with sauce. Very simple, but tasty! Afterwards we had our main dinner at the same restaurant from our first night, as they were doing half-priced crepes. I had a minced beef crepe with tomato, onion, garlic and cheese, while Shandos had one with chicken and spinach. And of course we finished off with a sweet crepe - apple and cinnamon with vanilla ice cream.

    We ate this on beanbags on the beach, as it wasn't raining and seemed to have cleared up. But as we went inside to pay the bill, the rain came lashing down, sending everyone scurrying for cover. Although we had an umbrella between us, we both got semi-drenched on the 10 metre walk back to our hotel entrance!

    Spent the rest of the evening relaxing, not much to report other than a huge thunderstorm passing overhead late at night. Boracay is a nice enough place, but I'm not really feeling the love at the moment, sadly. October is just on the cusp of the end of the rainy season, so we weren't expecting perfect weather, but we weren't expecting this either.
    Read more