Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 177

    Day 176: Back to KL (again!)

    December 9, 2016 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    An early morning flight means an early morning wake-up, sadly! Alarms for 5am, downstairs and checked out by 5:30 and in a cab heading for the airport. It's a long drive out of town to get there (though not quite as far as the bus station), and took us about 45 minutes. Big queue at check in as there was an AirAsia flight to Bangkok leaving at about the same time, but we managed to skip it by just going to the document check counter instead (most AA desks have a self-checkin machine but not here sadly).

    Everything sorted, we had some breakfast at a cafe to use up the last of our kyat, then proceeded through emigration and security. Plane a little late arriving but we were underway only about 10 minutes behind schedule.

    Uncomfortable flight, as I was on the window seat and the guy next to me was talking ridiculously loudly to his friends in the adjacent two seats. They also all chewed betel nuts through the entire flight which stink, spitting their chewed-up seeds into the vomit bags, he hogged the armrest the whole way, and he smelled like BO as well. Very annoying - thankfully it was only a 2.5 hour flight!

    Landed in KL with no problems, straight through immigration and customs as usual and then decided to take a coach into town rather than the train or taxi. 2 tickets for the coach is 24 ringgit ($8) for the hour-long trip, so it's a hell of a lot cheaper than paying 100 ringgit for a taxi or 80 ringgit for the train. It's not even that much slower than a taxi, although we had to get from Sentral to our hotel (we used UberX, which cost a further 7 ringgit).

    Beautiful hotel this time, Shandos found a really good last minute deal. We're staying in a serviced apartment, so we actually have a small kitchenette that we likely won't use. But the room is large, very nicely furnished and very comfortable, so we're looking forward to the next few days here.

    We did a little reconnaissance in the afternoon as we hadn't stayed in this area before (it's about halfway between two areas we have stayed), but soon retreated to the room as we were tired. For dinner we just ordered in a pizza from a nearby place as neither of us particularly felt like going out. Early night after a long day, and we've got a couple of intense shopping days to come!
    Read more