Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Day 51: More of San Seb

    April 7, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Time for some more relaxing in this playground of the rich and famous (and us). Had breakfast in the ocean-facing sunroom of our apartment (the housekeeper lives here and breakfast was included), then decided we'd head down onto the beach for a walk. This time we headed westwards to the other headland along the beach.

    Schnitzel had a great time running around on the sand, and there were lots of other locals around walking their dogs too. Tide was quite a long way out so lots of sand to explore and sniff (it's a very gentle slope beach). Got to the end of the beach and the headland, where there's a furnicular heading up to the top, so we bought tickets and jumped on.

    Schnitzel had to pay full price as well so we put him on the seat because, well, why not? Up top you get a fantastic view across the entire bay to the city opposite, so we took some photos and enjoyed the view. There was also a slightly crappy-looking fun-fair scattered around the top, all of which was entirely closed. No great loss! There was also a hotel at the top which was built to look like a castle from the city side, but when you walked around to the ocean side it just looked like a mid-20th century concrete block. Probably very expensive for a Mercure.

    Had a drink and some snacks in the restaurant at the top, enjoying the lovely warm sunshine. After an hour or so we headed back down on the furnicular, amusingly accompanied by the exact same group of people we'd been with on the way up! We'd hoped to have another drink at a restaurant on the water near the bottom, but unfortunately it was closed. Checked out the sculptures at the entrance to the bay, including the man-made blow-holes in the boardwalk which, although cool, absolutely terrified Schnitzel who ran away only to turn back on discovering a boxer dog drooling at him. Very funny.

    Back to the apartment where Shandos had a siesta and I spent a couple of hours writing and catching up on various things in the lovely warm sunroom. Had a chat to the newest couple who'd arrived earlier in the day as well.

    Around 7pm we headed back into the old town for more food and beverages. Saw a beautiful sunset over the bay entrance, then headed into the restaurant area for more delicious pintxos. Went again to a few different places, though everything was a little more expensive tonight as it wasn't 2 euro happy hour night. We revisited out old favourite with the "chipirones en su tinto" (literally squid in his own ink), and at another venue I talked Shandos into trying the Hilda (olive, anchovy and chilli), which she liked as well.

    Also returned to the cheesecake place, though it was absolutely packed tonight! I think we arrived just after a large group had turned up, so things were pretty crazy. Managed to find a spot outside and enjoy our cheesecake before making the long walk home. Schnitzel looked as tired as we did - huge day for him!
    Read more