Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 133

    Day 133: Across the Sea

    June 28, 2017 in Northern Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Exciting times - leaving the mainland UK for the first time on our trip (aside from Anglesey and Orkney I guess). Packed up and left our flat at the usual time, and started driving south. We actually didn't have much to do today either other than drive about two hours south of Glasgow to Cairnryan, where the ferry stop was.

    We basically just drove in one hit, minus a brief stop to pick up a couple of takeaway sandwiches for lunch which we ate in the car. Arrived at the ferry wharf well in advance of our sailing (departure time was 3:30pm, last call at 3pm, we arrived at 1pm). Took up our spot in the queue and then just sat around waiting outside the terminal building as Schnitzel wasn't allowed in.

    Finally we boarded, found our car space and headed upstairs. Schnitzel came too but had to stay in his carrier, thankfully he's fairly happy doing that. Boat was very large, carrying probably 50-60 trucks as well as lots of cars, caravans and foot traffic. Passenger decks very comfortable, with armchairs, tables, a restaurant, cafes, TVs, a couple of Playstations and of course a spa centre! We just grabbed a table near the window and settled in.

    The crossing was mercifully brief and uneventful - about 2.5 hours and you'd barely even notice the boat was moving. No rolling or pitching up and down thankfully! Arrived right on time into Belfast at 6pm, where we fumbled our way across the city (confusing maze of streets!!) to our accommodation. We're staying in a large terraced house along with the owner and a couple of other people. They weren't home so we let ourselves in with the keys from a lockbox nearby. Even though we've done it a bunch of times now, it still feels really strange to let yourself into a total stranger's house!

    Went out to grab some dinner at a nearby Mexican restaurant. We're staying just near the uni so there's loads of cheap and tasty places nearby. Lots of food fairly cheap, especially considering it's a city, though the medium-heat sauce was pretty mild by my reckoning. Back home to bed for an early night, as I think it's going to be a busy one tomorrow!
    Read more