Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 234

    Day 235: More of Neusiedlersee

    October 7, 2017 in Hungary ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Headed down into the main town of Sopron for a rare cafe breakfast, since the prices seemed good and there were interesting cafes around. Our main mission today was to drive around the western side of Neusiedlersee, checking out the various little towns and just doing some exploring.

    So off we went! First stop was the small town of Rust back over in Austria which a few people had recommended. It was fairly pretty but quite touristy, and with most places either set up for paid wine tasting or booked out for tour groups. We wandered around and did a little filming but headed on soon afterwards.

    This unfortunately proved to be essentially the story of the day - semi-cute small towns but with not much happening due to the low season and impending winter. Plus with the huge reed banks around the lake it was often difficult to get decent views of the water at all, many "on the sea" towns were actually a kilometre or more inland!

    What I also found extremely frustrating was a complete lack of signage about anything world heritage related; my usual process for filming is to go in with a small amount of knowledge, and supplement it with whatever I can find on location to create the video. But here there was literally nothing - a few "this town is World Heritage Listed" signs on the Hungarian side, but nothing at all in Austria. No info, no maps, no brochures. Very annoying. Even when we went to the main visitor's centre and asking for World Heritage info they had nothing!

    In the end we just filmed a few nice bits of landscape, spoke a little to camera about how frustrating it was, and left it at that. It won't be my greatest video ever, but it probably won't be my worst either.

    Back to our apartment in Sopron by mid-afternoon where we relaxed and did bits of work. Only real excitement was a complete blackout while I was washing up from dinner - the whole block, not just our place thankfully. Luckily the power came back on after an hour or so.
    Read more