Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 267

    Day 268: Museum Island

    November 9, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    First World Heritage site of our German trip, though this one is actually a revisit for both of us. After walking around a few breakfast places near our apartment and realising most wouldn't allow dogs, we just grabbed some takeaway croissants and headed into the centre of old Berlin. Today's WHS is Museuminsel or Museum Island, and it's an island in the centre of the Spree River where there's five separate museums from the 19th century. All very impressive buildings, but it's also here where the modern concept of a "museum" actually comes from.

    Wandered around and did our filming, though it was bitterly cold and overcast, but thankfully no rain. Didn't go into any of the museums since we had Schnitzel in tow, but still an enjoyable place to wander around. Lots of work happening, as due to the war and then the Wall, many of the museums didn't start getting rebuilt until the 1990s, a process that's basically still ongoing!

    It's actually remarkable, that a country which was really only founded in 1870 became the dominant power in Europe within 40 years; fought a two-front war against all the other Great Powers of the time and didn't lose. Then despite harsh sanctions and impositions, recovered within 20 years to once again be the continent's dominant power. And despite losing the next war (thanks to a couple of very dumb decisions), and the entire country being partitioned for 40 years, they're once again the dominant power of the continent. Remarkable.

    Finished up our filming then just decided we'd wander around the area since we were in old historic Berlin. Although both of us had been to Berlin before (Shandos in 2003 and me in 2005), it was nice to walk around and see what's changed. The Brandenburg Gate looked much the same, though there was a shiny new shopping mall nearby on the site of a nightclub that both Shandos and I had gone to! (Tresor)

    Had a quick look at the Topography of Terror (SS Museum) and the remainder of the Wall, before checking out the Holocaust Memorial since that was newly opened since Shandos was last here. Quick look at the front of the Reichstag building (parliament) and part of nearby Tiergarten park, grabbed a coffee, then headed back to Prenzlauer Berg after a long day. Quiet dinner at a small restaurant near our apartment, nothing spectacular.
    Read more