Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 270

    Day 271: Day Off

    November 12, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    Day off today. I had a nice sleep in, while Shandos headed out to a couple of art galleries she was interested in. So I stayed home and minded Schnitzel. Did some social media work, caught up on the YouTube videos I needed to watch, edited a couple of videos and played some computer games. Had a kebab for lunch since that was basically all that was open nearby (it was a Sunday).

    Shandos got home not long before dark (around 3:30pm), and we just sort of bummed around for the rest of the day. For dinner we went to an Asian takeaway in the same store as the kebab place - again they were about our only options on a Sunday evening! Germans don't seem particularly religious, so I don't know why everything is closed on Sundays. I think it's just The Way Things Are, and everyone just goes with it. Someone was saying that one city ran an experiment where the shops were open on Sundays, but you weren't allowed to buy anything. It went about as well as you'd expect!

    I also find it startling how few places accept credit cards here! Most Germans don't have credit cards, so you're just expected to pay cash. Sucks for us, means we have to keep going to ATMs and burning through cash quicker! Alas. Off to Hamburg tomorrow!
    Read more