Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 285

    Day 286: South to Weimar

    November 27, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    Back on the road, and not particularly sorry to leave Dessau. It's a long way from the tourist trail, aside from people doing world heritage site visits I guess, and it shows. Made the annoying walk across to the station one last time, caught the train up to Magdeburg, then another train out to Weimar - a city that's surprisingly important to German heritage.

    Arrived around 12:30pm and had lunch at the station McDonalds to kill time, before heading to our Airbnb. Host Markus was waiting for us and happy for us to check in early, so we dropped our bags, basked in the warmth briefly and then headed back out.

    First stop was the Bauhaus university, where the first Bauhaus school was originally located. Finished up our video here, though it wasn't particularly interesting since the main building pre-dates Bauhaus architectural style. Not a whole lot to see sadly.

    Also went for a wander through the old town to get the lay of the land, as we'd need to do some filming here over the next day or so. Weimar was home to a real German cultural hub in the late 18th century - it was home to Goethe, Schiller and Herder among many others, and not long prior it had been a centre for music too - home to Franz Liszt and (briefly) JS Bach. In the 20th century there were the Bauhaus connections, and Germany's first constitutional republic - the so-called Weimar Republic - was declared here. The centre of town is a World Heritage site, mainly for the late 18th century cultural impact of Goethe, Schiller and the rest.

    So we had a look at the nice buildings and squares, though didn't really do much filming. They aren't looking quite as nice as usual, sadly, since the Christmas markets are starting tomorrow and there's work vans everywhere. Satisfied with our afternoon of ambling, we headed home with some supplies to cook.
    Read more