Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 354

    Day 355: South to Naples

    February 4, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Back on the road again! Packed up the apartment in Rome and jumped on the tram, heading for Termini station. Made our train with no incidents, and departed right on time around 11am. We'd gone with the cheaper option of the slow train (3 hours and half price vs the 75 minute train). Unable to check in at our accommodation until 2pm anyway so it was a fairly moot point.

    Found our place with no issues, a ground floor apartment on a side street about 10 minutes walk from the old centre of town. It's a little gloomy with only one small window facing the street (and six storey buildings on either side of the street so not much natural light), but we'll be fine here.

    Relaxed for a little while then headed off into town for a look around. Naples has a very sketchy reputation, and in the past that was probably quite deserved. But these days, the crime rates are comparable to other large cities like Amsterdam and Marseilles, so there's not really anything to worry about. Just the usual pickpockets and stuff, but we haven't had any problems with that so far!

    Spent some time settling in, then headed out for a wander around since the weather was quite nice. Walked around the old centre of town - plenty to see, though the urban cityscape isn't the nicest around, quite grimy and gritty and covered in graffiti. Loads of churches which are interesting to see - apparently the historic centre has nearly 500 of them which is close to a world record.

    Decided to save filming for tomorrow so we just walked a bit aimlessly, picking and choosing different bits of food to eat as well. Arancini balls, croquettes, a baba (some weird cake thing soaked in rum), sfogliatelle pastries and of course pizza slices. Filled up enough to not need any dinner later, so we just stayed in!

    Discovered that my laptop power cable had decided to pack it in on the trip down from Rome (I'd noticed the included USB port wasn't charging properly a few days earlier), so I spent a couple of nervous hours figuring out what I was going to do. Still not sure!
    Read more