Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 355

    Day 356: Filming in Naples

    February 5, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    After my laptop cable decided to die last night (particularly after I'd already drained the laptop battery itself), I figured my first priority was to head out into the city and find a replacement. Set off at around 9:30 as the city was still stirring to life, and spent the next couple of hours walking between various electronics shops. Absolutely no luck, nobody had even heard of a Surface, let alone sell any spare parts! We're here in Naples for another couple of days, hopefully that'll be enough time to get something shipped in via the internet.

    Finally got home and organised enough to start filming around the city. The historic centre is enormous and had a lot of stuff to cover, so we had to hurry sadly. Lots of walking involved again!

    Naples was founded around 500BC by Greek settlers, who called it Neapolis (or New City). It's existed more or less continuously since then, and was an important centre as the Kingdom of Naples from around the 12th century onwards. Quite a few castles, monuments and buildings left over from that era which we had a good look at, though skipped on going inside any of them.

    Wandered around the waterfront as well which is surprisingly picturesque for a port city, particularly with Vesuvius looming nearby and the Bay of Naples stretching out to the horizon. In the end there was so much to cover I just had to do a brief bit about the three main phases of the city (ancient Greco-Roman era, medieval era, 19th century-ish era). Though I also slipped in a brief bit about the city's most famous export: pizza!

    Had ourselves some lunch at one of the most famous pizza restaurants, Sorbellino. Very good, very simple, and surprisingly cheap as well. Visited a few more electronics shops on our wanders but still no luck!

    Headed home in the early evening after an aperitif and grabbed some pizzas from the nearby shop for dinner. It's surprising how cheap they are here - for a plain margherita it's usually around 3-4 euros! Ordered a power cable from Amazon which they claimed would arrive within 48 hours, so fingers crossed it'll make it!
    Read more