Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 400

    Day 401: Exploring Valencia

    March 22, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    Up and out early to check out the world heritage site here in town, about 15 minutes walk from our apartment. It's known as La Lonja de La Sal and it's an old merchant exchange dating from the 14th century. Notable as it's a rare secular Gothic-style building!

    We filmed in and around the exterior and interior, which were both quite impressive. Was a bit difficult at times since there were large tour groups constantly tramping through, but in between those it was completely empty so you could pick your spots. It was definitely a bit frustrating at times though.

    Finishing up the video and filming, we wandered a bit around the centre of Valencia. It's nice, though doesn't particularly feel that old aside from a few buildings. Walked through a huge marketplace which was quite cool with lots of locals doing their shopping. Figured it was time now for paella, and so we picked one out on Google that was considered one of the best in town.

    Paella is a local dish (most places elsewhere in Spain will serve you frozen paella), and is typically eaten at lunchtime which I found surprising. Our chosen place didn't open until two, and looked quite fancy with white linen on the tables, but the prices were surprisingly reasonable and we waited out the 15 minutes until opening.

    Happy to report that the paella was delicious, as was the fried camembert with blueberry sauce we had as an entree!

    Very full, we headed back home and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening indoors!
    Read more