Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 408

    Day 409: Pont du Gard

    March 30, 2018 in France ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Left Nice in the morning and drove westwards - quite a long drive today, about four hours worth. Eventually we drove past Avignon and just a bit further west to the Pont du Gard, part of a large Roman aqueduct.

    Unfortunately Schnitzel wasn't allowed inside so we had to leave him in the car, but we decided to make it a fairly quick visit. The aqueduct itself is very impressive - almost 50 metres tall and over 300 metres long, and it's kind of crazy that it's survived for so long almost completely intact!

    The precision of the construction is just amazing as well, since over the 300 metres in length it drops only a couple of centimetres (enough to keep the water flowing). In fact, the full length of the aqueduct (50km), the total drop was about 12 metres which is just remarkable. Those Romans sure knew how to build em!

    Finished up our filming and headed back to the car where we drove the 30 minutes or so back into Avignon where we'll be staying for the next week as there's quite a few other WH sites nearby. Lots of traffic which was really annoying!

    Our apartment is out on the edge of Avignon, about 20 minutes walk or so from the historic centre. It's a single-bedroom apartment in a fairly new block, and should be fairly comfortable for the week. We actually didn't have particularly high hopes for this one since the photos looked quite ordinary, but we're pleasantly surprised! And the internet is blazing fast which is nice.

    So we settled in and Shandos went to the nearby supermarket to grab supplies for the week. Home-cooked pasta for dinner tonight!
    Read more