Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 428

    Day 429: A Long Drive North

    April 19, 2018 in France ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Said our goodbyes to the hosts and set off on another long drive north. After a couple of hours, our first stop was the town of Le Mans, famous for its 24-hour car race. It's actually a street race, and since they were starting to set up in preparation, we got to drive on a few parts of the track which was quite cool. The main circuit area was being used by motorbikes though, as there was a race happening this weekend.

    Briefly visited the museum but it was 10 euros per head, so decided to skip and hopped back in the car.

    Another couple of hours north, avoiding toll roads this time, and we finally arrived at the coast. Our B&B is basically another granny flat, a bit older but will be comfortable enough while we visit Mont San Michel. Our host mentioned that the car park there is free after 7pm, so we decided to explore a couple of local spots and then head over.

    We drove for another 45 minutes into Brittany, where we visited the town of Cancale, famous for oysters. A dozen oysters for 6 euros was a pretty good deal, so we got two dozen and ate them overlooking the harbour. Tried to find a crepe place as well since Brittany is the home of crepes, but couldn't find anywhere open and with decent prices! Instead we just had an aperitif and a couple of snacks, all served by the snootiest French waiter we've had on the whole trip. Whatever dude.

    Drove the 45 minutes back around the bay to Mont San Michel, parked in the car park and had a quick look at the castle/town from across the bay. It's an impressive sight, but too far away for really good photos from a camera, sadly. We'll go a lot closer tomorrow!
    Read more