Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 434

    Day 435: Chartres Cathedral

    April 25, 2018 in France ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    ABC - Another Day, Another B****y Cathedral. Today's WHS was Chartres Cathedral, located to the south-west of Paris. Was a reasonably long drive from Amiens, about 3 hours, skirting around the edge of Paris too. I do still find them interesting, but it's been a lot of cathedrals in a fairly short space of time - sort of like visiting old towns when you visit Italy.

    This Cathedral was notable for its interior restoration, a controversial one that has it looking bright white and almost baroque - very odd. Still impressive though, particularly the sculpture outside and the stained glass too, some of which was actually older than the cathedral itself (it belonged to the previous cathedral on the site).

    Finished up for the day, we ate our baguettes and then checked in to our hotel, a cheap business style hotel on the outskirts of town. We've stayed with this chain before and always had reasonable experiences - they're cheap and no frills, but at least decent quality. This one had been recently built, and so everything was still nice and fresh and clean.

    Spent the afternoon working and relaxing, and went out to grab kebabs for dinner. These days the most common French fast food!
    Read more