Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 467

    Day 468: Agriculture Area of South Oland

    May 28, 2018 in Sweden ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    Had a great night's sleep. Still woke up when the sun rose around 4am, but otherwise no problems. Being able to roll over makes things much more comfortable.

    Drove a couple of hours to an island just off the coast of the mainland, known as Oland. The southern part here is a world heritage site, showing how Swedish farming has traditionally been organised. Apparently they used to have "line villages" where the farm houses were clustered together, but a land redistribution in the 19th century meant that all over the country farmhouses became distant from one another. Except for here, because a large chunk of the island is crappy limestone soil and unfarmable, so it was ignored.

    The tourist info office was quite good (actually they've all been excellent so far in Sweden) and we based our plan of attack on their maps and info.

    Drove around the large island for the day, filming various bits and pieces of interest. Found a few viking burial mounds and runic stones as well which are still quite interesting since they're very unusual to us!

    Late in the day we made camp at a campground on the western coast, not far from the bridge back to the mainland. This campground had a dog agility course, so we gave Schnitzel a workout! He was hopeless at the slalom sections, but we managed to get him happy about the tunnels and the long skinny ramp!

    Went to a local Swedish hamburger chain called Max for dinner. The food was good, though we both decided we probably preferred McDonalds!
    Read more