Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 489

    Day 490: To Flam, via the Snow Road

    June 19, 2018 in Norway ⋅ 🌧 7 °C

    Lots of driving through fjord country today, but no world heritage sites. Norway is a very slow country for driving - there are literally no freeways. Everywhere has an 80 limit, only a few divided 4-lane roads have a 90 limit and that's it. Quite a few speed cameras too, though when your roads are winding directly around the bases of cliffs it's hard to go that fast!

    First off today we took a 2-hour detour to see a glacier - it was still quite a ways away, and it was raining heavily while we were there, but still cool to see! Not sure I've seen a glacier that close before.

    Next up was the drive to Flam, town at the end of Naeroyfjord which is the other world heritage fjord. We had the option of a 24 kilometre tunnel under the mountains, or a 2 hour route over the mountains via a road known as the Snow Road. We opted for the latter, and it lived up to its name! Quite a bit of snow piled on the road, though it was still a few degrees above zero so no ice.

    Arrived in Flam around 6pm to find the first place fully booked and the second comically expensive, so we got a cabin for two nights at a town 15 minutes up the road instead. Stayed in town for dinner where we went to a viking brewery. Our first proper experience of eating out in Norway; two tasty venison burgers and a tasting paddle of 5 small beers was 66 euros! That's about $90 AUD. Insane.
    Read more