Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 499

    Day 500: Skogskyrkogarden and the Ferry

    June 29, 2018 in Finland ⋅ 🌬 12 °C

    Headed out in the morning to the final WHS in Stockholm - a modern cemetery named Skogskyrkogarden. Apparently it was very important in the design of cemeteries worldwide - who knew this was a thing - and it has several interesting buildings. Three very understated funeral chapels done in the modernist style, plus another one in a neo-classical style which was interesting. Plus it was basically in the middle of a pine forest which was cool.

    Since it was only completed around 1920 there aren't that many notable Swedes buried here - Greta Garbo is the only truly famous one.

    Back on the metro to our apartment around lunchtime where we finished packing our stuff and headed for the ferry terminal to catch our boat to Helsinki. Waited around for a bit and then boarded, where we were surprised to board what was essentially a cruise ship! A large promenade area inside with lots of shops, cafes and restaurants, twelve decks, bars out on top etc. Certainly different from other ferries we'd been on.

    We were on deck 11, though in a windowless interior cabin since we had Schnitzel with us. They have separate dog-friendly cabins which we assumed were all in this section, as we heard another dog barking at one point. The room was quite nice, though it had four bunk beds rather than a queen or double. Oh well.

    After a long wander in which Schnitzel became a ship superstar, we had a couple of drinks up on the outdoor deck and watched Stockholm fade away. After this I went downstairs and drank too many free refill coffees in a cafe and did some video work.

    For dinner we decided to lash out and visit the ~~GRAND BUFFET~~ downstairs. It was 44 euros per head but included drinks, so we figured a 20 euro main plus drink plus dessert at a different restaurant was inferior value. Lots of great food - fish and salmon naturally, but good hot and cold options, plenty of alcohol, and delicious desserts as well. I've noted before that it's really only Australians that go insane when presented with unlimited alcohol, though I did indulge in three glasses of flat draft beer.

    Stuffed, we headed back upstairs and went to bed.
    Read more