Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 551

    Day 552: Flight to Bucharest

    August 20, 2018 in Romania ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Short drive back to Prague airport where we dropped off the car with no issues. Hard to believe we've had it for almost three weeks! It's been a good car, though the lack of cruise control was a bit of a bummer. Checked in for our flight with no dramas, though we had a slight issue getting through border control. The lady couldn't work out when Shandos had last entered the Schengen zone (when we went to Croatia briefly in September I think), but was fairly sure she'd overstayed - true. But since we had different surnames she didn't quite believe we were married, and although I started digging around for our marriage certificate (which we carry for this purpose) she let us off with a lecture. But she didn't do an exit stamp, which might be an issue in the future - we'll see.

    Otherwise the flight was fine, and we touched down in Bucharest mid afternoon. Took an Uber into the centre of town where our apartment for the week was located, and met our host with no dramas. The apartment is nice, five floors up above a busy road but well insulated. It's an odd city though - about a third of the buildings are grand old ones like Vienna, and the rest are crumbling concrete edifices like in Bangkok.
    Read more