Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 565

    Day 566: To the Danube Delta

    September 3, 2018 in Romania ⋅ 🌬 29 °C

    Didn't get much sleep, and were woken up around 6am by what sounded like someone a few doors away having a psychotic break. Yelling, shouting, crunching furniture. It was the same room where last night there'd been a lot of cigarette smoke and horrendous music coming from under the door. The noise came and went a bit, but of course Schnitzel was alarmed and kept barking, which we didn't like either. By around 8am we'd had enough and quickly packed our stuff and left. Just as we were leaving the day manager had arrived, and she had called the police and several security guards who were just arriving too. She said he was drunk from a wedding, but I dunno. At least we got out of there with no issues.

    Resumed driving to the south-east, heading for the coast and the Danube Delta. This is where the Danube finally empties into the Black Sea. Had to take a ferry at one point across the river, as there's no bridges in this area - classic Romanian infrastructure.

    Stopped to see an ancient Roman fort not far from the Black Sea, just near the river. For much of the empire period, the Danube served as Rome's northern border (remembering it basically runs east-west from south-west Germany across to the Black Sea). They built a lot of forts along it, and this one was basically the end of the line. Not much left, but still quite interesting, you could see baths, a church, barracks and the rest. No mosaics though.

    Went on to our accommodation a bit further down the road in a tiny town. We arrived mid afternoon since we'd left far earlier than planned, but it was no problem. The lady hosting the small hotel was very nice. We had dinner of grilled local fish and polenta which was excellent, and organised through her a boat trip out on the delta tomorrow.
    Read more