Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 577

    Day 578: Mykonos Old Town

    September 15, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Although we're not that close to the old town of Mykonos, there's a "sea bus" leaving from the marina just near us every 30 minutes. Only 2 euros each per trip! So we headed down around 10am and headed over into the old town.

    Spent a great few hours wandering around the tiny little streets, enjoying the white-washed houses with blue trim in that classic Greek style. So many tiny little alleyways, it was really great. Had a look at the windmills too, though neither of us were that taken with them - they were situated basically in a carpark after all!

    Had a nice long lunch at a restaurant in the old town, we opted for the lunch special where I had tzatziki followed by a pork skewer, while Shandos had a Greek salad and fried calamari. It came with a drink each, and they gave us a complimentary dessert platter of fruits and little cakes, along with a shot each of some liqueur - not ouzo, fruity tasting and not very strong. But nice enough! In the end it was about 40 euros, same as our lunch yesterday, but definitely better value.

    Back home on the sea bus mid afternoon; Shandos had a snooze while I went for a swim. The beach is quite nice - a little rocky for my tastes and I could do without the port being Right There, but the water seemed pretty clear and nice. After that, not much left to do but watch the sunset with a couple of beverages in hand!
    Read more